How do you get to a place of believing what God says about you? I got a slap in the face. That slap was deliverance. God brought my issues to the surface, causing me to confront my pain. God used people to deliver me from insecurity, rejection etc through prayer. This was the catalyst to me choosing to yield ALL my mind to God. Deliverance wasn’t a onetime event where someone laid hands on me and bounced. It’s a journey into the liberty that is in Jesus Christ. So, after the “deliverance experience” how did I move into freedom? The 8 points below have helped me.
- Keep it 100 with God through prayer. I love to write, so journaling to God helps me with being honest with Him. Open your mouth and be honest with God. Prayer works because I’m casting my cares to The One who cares for me (1 Peter 5:7). There is a true peace that can be found in Christ when we lay everything bare at His feet, as He is the Prince of peace (Isaiah 9:6). Jesus asked us to tell him about the things that trouble our mind so we can exchange it. His burden is light (Matthew 11:29-30) so when we give God our pain, fear, etc. he offers us peace, love, joy and more.
- Praise God! There is a power in your praise. When you acknowledge the goodness of God despite everything you may feel, you override the negative with the truth (Philippians 4:8 & John 8:31-32). The truth that God is good and everything that He does is good including creating you (Psalm 100:5)
- Read and STUDY the bible. When I’m fearful, I study faith. When I’m sad, I study joy. Reading the bible renews your mind. (Romans 12:2) The word of God tears down the old mindset and replaces it with the truth so you can develop Christ’s mindset. The word of God is SO powerful don’t dismiss its transformative power on our minds. (Hebrews 4:12)
- Know what the bible says about me. Understanding scripture builds faith (Romans 10:17). When you have faith, you have the assurance that God is who He says He is and does what He says He does.
- Casting down all the thoughts and imaginations that try to exalt itself above God (2 Corinthians 10:5). You do this with steps 3&4. All the negative thoughts are lies and they call God a liar which is a BIG FAT LIE. God is truth, He cannot lie (Numbers 23:19). Therefore, everything he says about you is true.
- Look at triggers and toxic cycles. I’ve identified what triggers dark times in my life. I also pray that the Holy Spirit reveals to me the root of the false mindsets so I can combat it with the Word of God.
- Become intentional with exposing the dark hidden spaces in the mind. I now tell my friends and church leaders about how I am thinking and feeling.
- Get counselling. I now seek counselling when life feels hard, or I’m on the edge (before I break down). There’s no shame in seeking professional help.
I’ll leave on this final note. There is hope at the end of it all. That hope is Jesus through His death, burial and resurrection. If you identify with my story I urge you to at least plant yourself in a church family that believes in deliverance and counselling and be transparent with them. Come up higher, see yourself from God’s perspective it will transform your life. You were never meant to be trapped in your mind full of hate. You are special, you are unique, you are loved and loved by God. Just say yes to Him for He makes you whole.
There is freedom and whom the Son sets free is free indeed
Stay blessed, Anonymous